Though Lacey is a relatively young city, it has been a thriving community since the 1850’s and was originally named “Woodland” in recognition of pioneer settler Isaac Wood. In 1891 residents decided the town needed a post office, but the federal government denied their request because a post office with the name of Woodland already existed. The name “Lacey” was submitted as an alternative (although its source remains a bit of a mystery) and the town got its post office and permanent name.
By the mid-1960s, the Lacey community had grown to more than 8,000 residents. The neighboring City of Olympia was attempting to expand its municipal boundaries to the east through annexation. Members of the Lacey Fire Department, North Thurston School District, and the Lacey Chamber of Commerce organized the “Committee for the Incorporation of Lacey.” It was a hard-fought campaign, with heated words exchanged at community meetings and articles in local newspapers championing different viewpoints. The vote tally was 1,586 for and 1,346 opposed. On December 5, 1966, 75 years after receiving its name, Lacey was now—officially—an incorporated city in its own right.
To learn more about the history of Lacey, WA Click here.
Photo credit to: Daily Olympian Collection, Lacey Museum